Monday, October 13, 2008

The Manila Orchidarium Reopens on December 2008


After my early morning swim last Saturday, I went back to the apartment and got ready to go home to Quezon City but with a detour first to the Manila Orchidarium. But just my luck, when I got there I was informed that it was temporarily closed for renovation and will reopen on Christmas. I was disappointed since it was supposed to be my visit after four long years. Right in the middle of downtown Manila, the Orchidarium is a one acre home for hundreds species of orchids, other plants and butterflies. It's lush life is a direct contrast to the jaded urban life outside its wall and is one of the few sanctuary for the city's urbanites. Inside it you feel closer to nature and in a way, experience a therapeutic effect of being surrounded by beautiful plants and butterflies. Since Philippines has a tropical climate, the orchids thrive gloriously on it's rain forests. According to the Philippine Orchid Society, there are 940 species of orchids belonging to 130 genera in the Philippines. It is also said that 75% of orchids in the world are sourced out in the Philippines. The most famous among them is of course, the Waling-Waling (Vanda Sanderiana) photo from the POS website.

The Orchidarium is going to be open for the public on December everyday for 150 pesos entrance fee. And if you are wondering how to get there, these are some helpful directions.
  • It is right beside the National Museum at Orosa St and Finance Road. Fifty meters away from Manila City Hall.
  • whether you are coming from Cubao, Baclaran, or Divisoria, just ride a Quiapo-City hall Jeepney, get off at the Rizal park then walk in the direction of the National Museum
  • when riding the taxi, tell the driver to take you to Rizal park, every local driver should know that
  • when taking the LRT, get off at the Lawton LRT station then ride the jeepney going to Quiapo-PGH-NBI, get off at Rizal Park
Well, hopefully on one of my blogs on December I can show you the inside of the Orchidarium.

4 comments:

  1. Hi KARINA!!! Hmmm.. sounds interesting huh.. Tara, punta tayo dyan sa december, walking distance lang kaya mula samin yan noh... Magandang magpapics dyan, dami flowers, hehe.... :P

    Nga pala, nakailang points ka na for laptop?? hehe.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sa U.N. Avenue nga lang pala office building, walking talaga. I should have stopped by your office.hehe. Sure, let's go there when it re-opens on December.
    Ummm...still need 380 dollars, sigh...help, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, thank you; it was closed during my November 2008 visit. As I hope to return to PH late in 2009, I can now add this to my itinerary,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith, it should be open by now. I definitely recommend it to be included in your itinerary. Have fun in the Philippines. =)

    ReplyDelete