Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Learning Another Language—beginning with Spanish

It’s on my Top 5 list on what I want to accomplish in the next five years. I have started doing my self-study lessons late last year but had overlooked it when I got so busy looking for another job early this year. Now i'm back to it again.

When you are learning a language, the best choice is to enroll in a language school. But what if your schedule cannot accommodate such plan? As for me these days, I work at nights and I sleep on mornings. I haven’t found a language school yet that suits my schedule. Or sometimes, you just cannot afford to pay for a language school which, unfortunately, is also applicable to me. So what do you do then? Do you just give up on your goals? I don’t think you should. There are always other numerous internet resources.

  • Chatrooms – just have to be very patient and cut through every crap of meeting people who wants to view your cam and ask you to do BS. There are actually helpful chatters out there and friendship is a plus while learning a new language.
  • YouTube – I love YouTube and it’s always one of my research destinations.
  • Language forums and community –my friend Van told me about Rosseta Stone Shared Talk and it’s quite cool.
  • MP3s – this is how I currently study Spanish I. I have downloaded mp3s from a website I found using Google Hacks. I have a link to Spanish lessons MP3s and aside from Spanish, there are also mp3s of other languages like Japanese, French, Korean, Greek, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian, Mandarin, German even Hindi, Irish, Romanian and Vietnamese! I cannot post the link here though. I am not sure if it is legal. But if you want the link, I’ll be happy to email it to you. Just leave your e-mail address on the comments area and will get back to you as soon as I can. ¡Que tengas suerte!

Photo above by Darren Robertson

0 comments:

Post a Comment