Sunday, April 12, 2009

You don’t know me --makes me cry

I was tweaking with my cousin’s newly bought laptop on Black Saturday at their house when she asked me to play a CD. There were only track numbers, no track titles. She told me to play Track 15 and told me not to cry. I love my cousin in the whole world but she sometimes has a sick sense of humor. I shrugged, raised one eyebrow and said fine; no matter what it is I won’t cry. I knew from the first few notes that I would cry, I got teary eyed when a woman’s voice started with the words “You gave your hand to me, and then you said hello. And I can hardly speak, my heart is beating so. And anyone can tell that you know me well…but you don’t know me”. It’s amazing that there’s a song that can make us cry and i'm not really embarassed to confess this.
My cousin, true to her mischievous nature said “I think she’s lesbian, listen to the line “I watch you walk away, with the lucky guy”. I got teary-eyed and laughing so loud at the same time with her comment. Silly, of course Jann Arden is not lesbian (as far as I know). The song was first sung by Ray Charles. The lyrics were not altered when Arden covered it.

I always relate the song to the movie that always makes me cry too no matter how many times I have watched it. It is particularly the scene in My Best friend’s Wedding, when Julianne met Michael at the airport. Someone used to and still always tell me that I’m such a cry-baby, yes he would know about that since I have cried on his shoulders so many times before but I do wonder.. if he ever knew me at all…

Ray Charles singing "You don't Know Me"

4 comments:

  1. Well, I bet a lot of songs made me cry as well. It's a matter of what were the things we remember each time we hear a specific song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah then we are both cry-babies.hehe. thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song from the film Once gets to me like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good I was not there when you played the song. There could be the two of us crying...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete