Saturday, April 18, 2009

US Embassy Non-Immigrant Visa Application Step by Step, How-to’s and Tips

Non-immigrant Visa is a visa issued by the United States of America to citizens of other countries who wish to enter the country for a temporary purpose. There are several visa classifications according to the purpose of visit.
Before you appear in US Embassy in Manila for the non-immigrant visa interview, make sure you accomplished the following checklist:
  • Accurate and complete information on your DS-156 form with 2X2 photo. Photo should be a frontal shot of your face with both ears showing. Photo should be against white background and of you in business attire.
  • Accurate and complete information on your DS-157 form.
  • Passport
  • Confirmed Interview schedule with the US Consul done by internet. Print email confirmation. You can do this by calling the call center or accessing online appointment application via their Visa Point™
  • Paid Visa Application fees. DS-157 should have a machine validation from the bank when payment is made. Payment is roughly amounts to Php 7,000 when converted to peso.
  • Letter of Invitation from business entity or family relations from USA
  • Additional supporting documents depending on the purpose of your intention to enter the US Territories (Business, Work Permit, Tourist)

The Manila US Embassy where the non-immigrant visa interview is conducted is located at Roxas Boulevard , it is in front of the Bayview Park Hotel. See Google Map of US Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

The illustration below is the current procedure in applying for Non-immigrant Visa. Procedures could be subject to change at any time in the future but this is a good idea of the general step by step.

STEP 1: Non-Immigrant Visa Entrance
Fall in line in the non-immigrant queue. Reception attendants will confirm your appointment. Present your confirmed interview print-out, DS-156 and DS-157. A barcode sticker will be attached to your passport and Air21 form will be issued to you. Fill-out the Air21 form if your visa is approved.
STEP 2: Security and X-Ray
You will pass through a security check and your belongings will pass thru an x-ray machine. NO electronic devices and gadgets of any kind are allowed inside the embassy (cellphones, mp3 players, flash drive, etc). It is better to leave these items at home.
STEP 3: Pre-Screening
Pre-Screening is done in The Pavilion area. You can fall in line any one of windows labeled C, D, E and F. Present your DS-156, DS-157, passport and supporting documents. You will be given your QUEUE NUMBER. Keep this until the end of the interview. Proceed to the Waiting Area and wait for your Queue Number to be called.
STEP 4: Finger-Print Scanning
Queue Numbers will be called in random. Pay attention to this. When your number is called, proceed to the Finger-print scanning window where your finger-prints will be processed. After your prints are processed, they will return to you your passport, forms and documents.
STEP 5: Interview with the Consul
Wait for your Queue Number to flash on the queuing screen. When it’s your turn, go to the assigned window and present your documents and passport to the consul. The consul will ask you questions regarding your application. The consul will then inform you if your visa is approved or denied.
STEP 6: Visa and Passport Delivery
The consul will keep your passport if your visa is approved. You can now go back to the Pavilion where Air21 delivery service is located. Fill-out the form and pay the visa and passport delivery charge. Standard delivery time is one-week.

Some Helpful Tips in Applying for your Non-Immigrant US Visa

  • Make sure forms are duly accomplished and documents are complete and accurate to avoid delays. Information on your passport should be the same of that written on your DS-156 and DS-157. If a question in the form is not applicable to you, make sure to write N/A or Not Applicable.
  • Arrive in the Embassy at least 2 hours before your appointment time because queue lines can be very long. Arriving there early will give you ample time to go through the pre-screening process so you can make it on your scheduled interview with the consul in time.
    Answer the consul’s questions and explain in clear, short and concise manner. This is helpful for the consul and you.
  • Make sure that you know pertinent information regarding your application that could include but not limited to:
    a. the purpose of your visit
    b. your relationship to the person who sent you the invitation
    c. dates (example: if you are attending a family member’s wedding, the date of the wedding. If you are going there for a training, the training dates)
    d. planned destinations in USA
    e. length of stay
    f. who will pay for your trip
    g. guarantee of your return to the Philippines
  • Be honest on the information provided. Any fraud found will be subjected to refusal of any form of visa from the embassy in the future.
  • You can bring a book to pass the time while waiting for your turn.

Related Articles

18 comments:

  1. I think I have to have a passport first right? he he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi madz, yeah definitely need to have a passport first. It's included in the checklist. The DFA issues passport for filipino citizens. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The procedure is basically the same as it was in 1981 when I applied for NIV. One obvious difference is the use of the Internet, there was no such thing then. Anyway, a very informative post again. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks =) I found this very useful. I am scheduled for an interview on the 11th of May. I hope I can get that elusive v-i-s-a

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila, glad to be of help. Goodluck with the interview. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I ask, exactley when or after what time are we accepoted to be called by the embassy to have the interview & such, I mean after we complete our visa application?
    And what are the chances that our Visa's going to be approved? For the normal person who has no criminal records at all? Or illness or anything from that sort?
    Is there a chance that our Visa might be disapproved, because I've just applied for once & I'm really concerned.
    Any help on that matter with be fine :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi you have to set an appointment with them by calling them or through the Visa Point. They will confirm your appointment for interview after you pay the visa fee. It really depends on the purpose of your visit, and your qualifications if you get approved or not. Since you are applying for non-immigrant, you are expected to go back to Philippines. If they are skeptical as to the reason you give them and your answers are inconsistent, you might get denied. You said "our" so you mean you are traveling with someone else, perhaps with the family? It's better to appear with to embassy together on this instance. Basically just be consistent and make the consul realize that your visit is valid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello, i'm lhen.. well my dad wants me to continue my studies in chicago,,i have an interview before june,,,how can i pass the interview,,especially the question "how long do you intend to stay?" thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, do I have to pay the visa fee first before setting an appointment thru Visa Point, or can I do it vice-versa? And also how do they confirm your appointment, through email? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello my name is hazel can i ask some questions about applying a non immigrant visa,because i was applying a non immigrant visa and my schedule for interview is on sept.23 2009,i have a question about my DS 156 form some of the question on the application form THAT ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO ME i didnt put N/A in the box should i need to put N/A to my form?what if,i have already made my schedule and my appoinment is altready made what will i do?should i need to change my DS156 form and need to call again to the embassy hotline for the changes of my application form?thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hazel,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. you did DS 156 by internet right? when i filled up my form thru the website, i also didn't put N/A on some of the questions, so I think it is OK. Just make sure you put N/A when you fill up your DS 157. Also, make sure the bar code in DS156 is properly printed. Goodluck on your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i see,so i dont need to call the embassy hotline for that?yes i did it thru the net..ok thank you for replying me back...hope fully they will granted me a visa..yes i will put N/A on my DS157 thanks for the info...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Ms.karina.i have another question for applying my non immigrant visa,my brother is in united states he was U.S citizen there,my question is this,he sent me also a supporting papers aside from my own documents,he sent a letter of invitation,affidavit of support(Form I-134}copy of his naturalization,current employment letter,recent bank statement,recent pay stubs from his employer,and his last year tax return copies,should i need to present this to the embassy do u think it wont be hassle for them if i present those documents from my brother...thou i also have my own documents,do u think would help?Thank you very much for ur time in answering my concerns...thou,my application is visitors visa ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Hazel, no you dont have to call the embassy for your DS 156.
    About your brother's documents, I have to a question, is he your sponsor for your visitor's visa application/you are going to stay with him in the US/? If he is, then you definitely need to bring those documents with you on the day of your interview. The embassy would want to know that your sponsor can provide for your needs if need be, when you get to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Karina.thanks for replying about my concerns..Yes my brother will be my sponsor for my visit and im going to stay with him for my vacation...thanks a lot for ur kindness and for the information that you have given me...il let u know if they grant me a visa..Please include me to ur prayers...Thank you very much..

    ReplyDelete
  16. question? where do i get my appointment form for my interview?do they send to my email?thanks!

    ReplyDelete